Monday, October 29, 2007

Forgiveness

I know, I know, very unpopular! I just want to confess that this weekend I was put in a situation where I had to face some uncomfortable situations and it forced me to choose forgiveness like over and over again. I will say that the hardest things for me to forgive are pertaining to my children (what mom can not relate to this!) and to injustice. I could quote scripture about all the many benefits in forgiveness, and why it hurts us more than the person we are upset with to keep the grudge, but most of you know them. Knowing me, I will anyway before this is done. Because even though I know them, I need them to be fresh in me over and over! And if I "know" them so well, why aren't I living them yet? I mean every time? Because, it is a process and we have to keep "forgetting what is behind" and "pressing on".

My good report is that by yesterday morning and ever since I am at a really good place. Where I can honestly pray a heart-felt prayer for outrageous blessing on the persons. Will I stay at this good place? I will most likely wobble from time to time...but, as long as I don't give up, I will not yield this territory I have gained. In case you are wondering, not only does Jesus instruct us in this, but I have found it extremely mmm...I guess therapeutic is the right word...I mean you find yourself cheering the person or people on, by the time you are done. For instance, by this morning, my prayer is that God will outrageously bless this group of people and bring them into a new place of kingdom dominion. I pray that it will be unmistakable that God is at work and on the job, so that He will get the glory and they will get the joy!

I will close with these two scriptures, because without them to renew my mind, I would be unable to move forward. One motivates & one gives me great hope! Because if He said it, then I can do it & if His love is put inside my heart...then it is not ME loving in my own power, but HIS power in me to love! Who am I to argue with that? Check it out:


  • Matthew 5:44 "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" and then,

  • Romans 5:5 " And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us".

OK, Ya'll, thanks for humoring me in this topic I have sooo struggled with, wish me well & I wish you well!!

8 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

It sounds like we have been in the same boat the past few days! This is what we've been having to go through as well, and it's been really tough with the other person involved. At this stage it has been on going (on and off) for a few years. God has encouraged us to press on, to keep being ourselves, show mercy, act in love, but it was hard these past few days when the bitterness this person is struggling with was overspilling and hurting folk. I guess I had to see that my 'flesh' wasn't dead and that I wanted justice and truth to come out - and that wasn't what God was doing here, it was to cover, act in love, keep acting in love. Phew - I don't think I liked what I saw in myself, you know what I mean? Great timely post! May grace abound for you.

Anonymous said...

This post hits home! I had a good friend completely betray me last year, and I'm just now able to talk about it without getting so mad all over again. I'm working on the forgiveness thing. It's just so hard!!

heidi @ ggip said...

THis is the second post about forgiveness that I have read today. It is a beautiful part of Christianity.

Unknown said...

John and I were walking the other day and I remembered something that had happened three years earlier that I'd forgotten about. I was instantly angry and a little bit glad when John told me about an unfortunate circumstances this particular person found himself in. I was ashamed of my feelings, but they were there none the less. I am so glad for God's grace. And I am glad God is God. And I will continue to read those scriptures and pray my heart will change.

luvmy4sons said...

One motivates & one gives me great hope! Because if He said it, then I can do it & if His love is put inside my heart...then it is not ME loving in my own power, but HIS power in me to love! Who am I to argue with that? Check it out:


Matthew 5:44 "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" and then,


Romans 5:5 " And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us".


Those were great words! Thansk for that! Amen sister! Amen!

She Rose Up said...

Karen (in New Zealand),

So sorry to hear of your trials in this area. Yes, I agree it is never pleasant when I see my 'flesh" either! & I was seeing it quite more than I like recently.

Karen (in the US),

Yikes! That's hard. I know with some cases (like yours and mine & many others) it is like over & over again deciding, purposing, chosing until your heart catches up with your mind. This time, the love scripture was what I had to lean into, cause nothing else was workin'! AND I am keepin' on keepin' on!

Hang in there! It will turn the corner!

Heidi, where was the other post? I'd love to read it!

Yes, it IS beautiful, where would we be without it?

Carole,

Yes! I love that! God IS God! It is sure a good thing HE is not like us! I wouldn't let me in! :)

To ALL!

Thank you for coming by and sharing your hearts. This was not a post I expected any comments on, but I felt I had to do it, for myself. Somehow the writing of it "seals the deal" for me, like a place of no turning back.

So, again thanks!

Maria

She Rose Up said...

Ooops!

Luvursons!

THANK YOU!

Maria

Joyful Days said...

This has been an important thing for me to do more than once. But it is such a blessing to know it can be done. I've had it happen with people who have hurt my children, but more often my husband. But to do this lifts a burden off of my heart.

Thanks for the reminder, though. Sometimes I go back and pray again and it is a blessing. When you pray that God will touch someone's heart and move in a powerful way to bless them, you know there can be no wrong.

Praying for you & your family while you travel through this.

(())

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!