Friday, November 9, 2007

Sacred Trust




I have been thinking about our children, (two sons) a lot lately. Thinking about the years gone by, the trends, the patterns, regrets, joys, and grateful, grace-filled moments. I'm not one to dwell on the past. You can't change it, and you are smack in the middle of today, so you better make it count, that kind of thing. While not dwelling on the past, I have found it necessary to look back from time to time and be evaluative of our actions. Because of what I know to be true about Christ; I am very aware to be a parent is a gift. The life or lives entrusted to our care, are not ours to do with as we please. Indeed, as a Christian we don't even count ourselves, as our own, for we were bought at a price. "You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for by Christ]; then do not yield yourselves up to become [in your own estimation] slaves to men [but consider yourselves slaves to Christ]", 1 Corinthians 7:23, Amplified Bible. We have been redeemed from sin, from the the curse, saved from the jaws of hell and the grave. Since Our Father has paid such a dear and costly price for us, how much does that need to impact our parenting? Greatly.

I have found myself humbled in waves over the past weeks, by the needs of my children that I am powerless to meet. Humbled also, by the ways we could have done better, if we had understood more what our choices might mean. Humbled, but not forsaken. I am more conscious than ever of the gracious goodness of God which has watched over my husband and I, and our sons. That same gracious goodness goes with our sons, wherever they go. They can't out run God, and His love and mercy, nor could we. For this I am ever so grateful. Even more than I want their individual joy and fulfillment, God wants this. We, as fallen creatures, though redeemed, struggle with something our children struggle with, which is grasping the Big Picture! The Big Picture is what I call the ability to see the full scope of the panoramic, wide screen life God designs for us. A life filled with people to be connected with, adventures to live, battles to win and mysteries to discover. Jesus desires so much more than my husband and I, that these men have all they need to lead a fulfilling life (The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows) John 10:10. This knowledge is a sure thing that I can rest in, breathe in, even exult in. If I will continue to seek first His Kingdom, not the values and standards I craft. Not try to keep up with our friends, or the latest Cosmo magazine instructions for self actualization, self help book, or talk show craze. If I continue to love, prefer, let go, not control, and not maneuver, I can expect God will bless and direct our efforts. Which will result in me doing the part which is mine, and my husband & I doing the part that is ours. And finally, God is well able to get through to these young men in the way they most can hear, just like He did us.

The need for our children to have whole lives can be overwhelming, even terrifying if we look at it too closely. That's why I am refreshed when I remember that what God has entrusted to us, is a scared trust. And He doesn't give us such a precious gift, without giving us all we need to love, train, teach, and provide for the precious lives entrusted to our care. If we look to Him as the source, we will have the correct perspective to make the choices which bring life.

All this is to say, that I've lately been very contemplative as to our actions as parents, evaluating where we're at in this assignment. We are entrusted with a 23 year old at home, due to circumstances he did not desire or plan for; preparing to go back out into the world and make a new life at such an early age. Also entrusted to us is a 14 year old, soon to be 15, who is already well into the transition phase of launching out on his own. I can't help be be hopeful and prayerful. Hopeful for God's grace in all our shortcomings as parents. Prayerful because just as much as Jesus came that we (and they) might have and enjoy life, life abundantly, the thief came to steal, kill and destroy, so I better pray!

Thank goodness He can make beauty out of our mistakes and shortcomings, or I would be completely bereft of hope!

4 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I can so relate dear sister. Many prayers for you on this parental journey. It is soothing to read your perspective. You have reflected my very thoughts. It is frightening at times, but oh, how our God is sufficient in our weakness! Yes? "My power is made perfect in your weakness, for when you are weak then you are strong." I so NEED to get a hold of and never let go of THAT truth. Thanks for your insights! Love and prayers.

She Rose Up said...

Thanks so much, Leslie. I am glad to know this struck an encouraging chord. That was my hope, but I wasn't too sure I was successful.

You are so right on target with the scripture you shared. The whole time I was writing, I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks for your kind words.

Love & prayers for you, too!
Maria

Joyful Days said...

It is amazing what I feel I've learned about God by being a parent. So often a correction will come out of my mouth, directed at a child and a small voice whispers, "You might do well to remember THAT too."

Growing everyday right along with them!!

Always in Him,

Julie

She Rose Up said...

Jule, I had to chuckle when I read this, bc I can say the same! On a regular basis. A big way He has challenged me is mercy, gentleness when disciplining...vs haranging! In other words, I should be as gentle and uplifting with them, as He is with me...He is sure good to us!

Have a great day!
Maria

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!