Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen!

Good Morning, Everybody! I got thirteen things that amaze me today! Well, really, more than thirteen. But, for the purpose of Thursday Thirteen, I kept the list short! :)
I find it Amazing that:
  1. Once I could read, I read voraciously, still do. When I was a kid, one of the things I read from cover to cover every week was the TV Guide. "How strange" you are probably saying to yourselves, but, trust me, that topic will show up in a future blog or two. But, for today - the back often had a full page color ad for Marlboro cigs. Which I was not interested in. However, the very handsome man in denim on the horse, with remarkable brown hair and blue eyes, now that was VERY interesting to me! Then one day, I grew up, met my very own Marlboro Man and married him! (no, he was not the one in the ad, he was way better! Perfect for me!). For me it was all about the brown hair, blue eyes, and denim! Check, Check & Check! THAT amazes me!
  2. I am amazed that we have two smart, kind, funny, healthy and handsome sons. And I get to be their mom. How cool is that?
  3. That after all these years, I get to be a SAHM. Happy dance...yeah, yeah, oh, Ok. On to number...
  4. All kidding aside, I look back at just a handful of incidents when I was a teenager and I shudder. I am amazed that I did not die, in spite of myself. Living proof of the mercy of God and angels who watch over us. Amazing!
  5. I am still amazed that I got blue-eyed sons, just like my Marlboro man, and just like I wanted, even though I have brown eyes.
  6. I am amazed when I consider the childhood my mother had, and then consider what a great mother she is. Grace, grace and more grace. (what a cool name for your daughter Cecily r).
  7. That the devil even bothers to get up every day just to fight a losing battle. Hasn't he read the end of the book yet? LOSER! ;-) Amazing!
  8. I love our country. We are blessed to have many kind, good, smart and funny people. We can do wonderful things with technology, engineering and many other resourceful things. Yet, we get all tied in knots about "exposing" our children to the Bible, the topic of Jesus, heaven, hell and etertinity. Things our children have a right to know about while they are young (in my opinion). At the same time, in a complete paradox of concerns, a large part of our culture (at least a very determined and noisy part) feels strongly that it is important to equip (I kid you not, click here>) 11 yr olds with birth control and teach even younger children things about sex which rob them of the beauty and the wonder of what it is meant to be. What it was able to be for those of us fortunate to be over 40 and who remember when our culture still allowed some vestiges of wonder and awe in the bedroom. Call me ...mmm, call me amazed.
  9. I am amazed that a child will always forgive and an adult can barely do it.
  10. There once was a woman who was pushing 30 yrs old. She knew nothing about the Bible to speak of, and did not have a clue how to teach her 9 year old son what she knew about about God. So, she had to find a church that was equipped to make the Bible real to him, tangible. Later she got to teach children, teens and adults about God and His beautiful and life giving Word. I can't even explain how that happened. This is truly amazing to me.
  11. Last week my son and I were reviewing atoms, protons, electrons, neutrons, etc. In our studies we were struck by the fact that atoms naturally have a balanced amount of electrons and protons, keeping the electrical charge on an even keel. Accidental? Evolution? I think not. If you think otherwise, cool, this IS America. I am sure you won't begrudge me my amazement at this spectacularly, unlikely occurrence.
  12. It is amazing, in a bittersweet fashion (to me) that good people can stand to run for any public office, or even try to endure appointment anymore. The process of being selected, elected or appointed, followed by the just as unpleasant doing of political business, has become so mired in strife and malice. It is heartbreaking, frustrating, and disenchanting to say the least.
  13. I am amazed there is someone in my house who goes by the name "I dunno" and I can't catch him (I KNOW it's a him). He occasionally leaves the seat up in the bathroom, tracks dirt on my floor, leaves empty peanut butter jars in the cabinet, and empty milk jugs in the fridge. Why can't we catch this unseen person? Amazing!


4 comments:

Cecily R said...

So, I love your list, but honestly, did you have to say Rockstar? Now I have that and stinkin' Hannah Montana stuck in my head. Now that is one weird combination!

luvmy4sons said...

I smiled at several things on your list. I could relate. I could relate to being pleasantly surprised that I survived some of my "antics" as a teen. He who is forgiven much loves much! Yes?

And it still mazes me after having had to work as an L&D nurse for so many years that I get to be a SAHM!

Thanks for your positive upbeat energy and love of God that shines through!

She Rose Up said...

cecily r,

What a combination! But, hey, it kinda works, Hannah Montana wants to be a Rockstar! LOL!

Glad you liked!

luv4mysons,

Glad to hear it. A little smile, a little encouragement, maybe mixed with some laughter & thinking. These things make me blog!

Yes, he who loves much, usually HAS been 4given much! Me included!

3 cheers for 2nd careers as a SAHM! God is so good!& you are very kind.

Happy Thursday, Ya'll!
Maria

Cecily R said...

Okay, I have to comment again. I'm jealous that your kids got blue eyes. Jon's are blue and beautiful and mine are brown. Apparently my genes are very bossy because all three have big brown eyes and look like me.

And I read about the kids getting birth control at age 11 yesterday. It seriously made me so sad. Where are their mommies?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!