Monday, February 4, 2008

Let the Word Speak!

Food for thought (I couldn't resist the pun, Ya'll!):

ORGANIC - a: of, relating to, or arising in a bodily organ
b: affecting the structure of the organism
(1): of, relating to, or derived from living organisms
(2): of, relating to, yielding, or involving the use of food produced with the use of feed or fertilizer of plant or animal origin without employment of chemically formulated fertilizers, growth stimulants, antibiotics, or pesticides>
b (1): of, relating to, or containing carbon compounds
(2): relating to, being, or dealt with by a branch of chemistry concerned with the carbon compounds of living beings and most other carbon compounds
4 a: forming an integral element of a whole : fundamental
b: having systematic coordination of parts : organized
c: having the characteristics of an organism:
developing in the manner of a living plant or animal
5: of, relating to, or constituting the law by which a government or organic exists

Now look at the definition this way:

1) the body, the organism and the whole it refers to as The Body of Christ
2) And think of the food, as The Word of God,
3) And think of the carbon elements, as the "incorruptible seed" The Word of God.
4) And lastly, think of the "law by which a goverment or organic exists"
as the Word by which The Kingdom of God operates.


I hope I do not lose you all or make something simple complicated!
Thank you for hanging in there with me this far!
What's on my mind you ask?

Photobucket

You know how everyone is becoming more aware of the need to eat more healthy?

Less fast food. Less dining out.
And there's all sorts of bally-hoo,
that when dining out,
we need to choose establishments which use healthy ingredients.
You know, the organic, and or whole food concept, and not as highly processed food
(like unbleached or whole wheat flour), which is so trendy these days,
makes me think of what we consume of our daily bread,
The Word of God.

Here's how:
Throughout my life, I've been an avid reader.
Since I came to know the Lord, about 15 years now,
I have devoured many wonderful Christian books.

During a large part of that time,
there have been several Christian teachers,
from whom I have tremendously benefited from their teaching,
which I primarily received from books and TV.
Because I was already IN the Word for myself,
I could discern if the teacher was worthwhile or not.
I knew from the beginning, not to follow blindly,
but to KNOW THE WORD for myself,
and to only appreciate teachers who stuck to the Word,
who exalted the Word, and not their charisma.

No "junk food" or highly-processed Word,
with pop psychology as the main ingredient, thank you!
During the last 1 and 1/2 years more and more,
I have been impressed to leave the book, for a little while.
And be more discriminating what I would read or watch.
Not because of anything wrong.
But, lately I feel impressed to just
Let His Word Speak to Me!

Pure, unbiased word.


Remember when we were kids, there was always that one girl,
who wanted to be the center of attention.
And she was.

She had boys around her all the time, and was on the phone with them.
She was always trying to "fix up" a guy with a friend of hers.
It never worked!

The point was the whole time she was "advertising" for her "good" friend,
her eyes and her voice said
"It's really me you want".

The relationship she was "trying" to hook up, was doomed.
Because the boy was completely smitten with her,
which is what she really wanted the whole time.
Though, in fairness, I don't believe these type of people ever
really knew themselves well enough,
to even know that was the case.

Sometimes that is what our relationship with the Lord can be like,
WHEN we count too much on the person in the middle.
We should desire pure, unbiased Word.
So that when we DO choose a teacher to read or listen to,
We KNOW when it's good ingredients they are using,

i.e. Organic!

Photobucket


Of course to do this, (for myself anyway),
I need to be sure I am in the Word plenty, everyday.
Just like nutrionists have determined, that several small meals
throughout the day are healthy for our bodies,
I have found that several short "snacks" of scripture for me,
throughout the day,
keep me refreshed, hopeful, and healthy.

Especially on busy days (which is most).
Every once in a while, (once or twice a week)
I require more substantial fare.
More of a study time, with my Strong's Concordance,
looking for that hidden surprise,
that makes the Word seem so alive and vital to me.
And it's always organic!
No additives, no over-processed food (Word)!
I am NOT against being part of a church,
because scriptures makes it clear that's a requirement,
and a good thing.
I have been a member of, and served in my current church for 14 years now.
I am FOR studying to show myself approved, rightly diving the Word of truth.

"Study and be eager and do your utmost
to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial),
a workman who has no cause to be ashamed,
correctly analyzing and accurately dividing
[rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of truth."
2 Timothy 2:15
Jude 2, 2 Timothy 2, and 2 Peter 3 all tell of a coming time,
when on an increasing basis there will be false teachers.
Teachers who care too much about profit, and about who's who.
But, how will we recognize them,
if we don't know the truth for ourselves?
More importantly, how will our children and grandchildren?
If we do not prepare and digest homecooked meals for ourselves,
then we will be subject to being fed Word which isn't pure,
which is over-processed,
(processed food has lost its best nutrients),
so that the life, the light and truth is gone or corrupted.


Photobucket

Word like that, it occurs to me,
is like poison.

Isn't carbon monoxide poisoning where poeple go to sleep,
and never wake up? It is THAT SUBTLE of a process!
That's what we risk,
if we don't feed ourselves healthy, organic homecooked meals
(God's Word prepared and served by ourselves,
to ourselves and our family and friends)
regularly, primarily.
MORE THAN we "eat out" (Word prepared by others).

Remember how we learned to cook and bake,
by watching our mothers,
and our grandmothers in the kitchen?
Just by those images imprinted we learned by example
And how about when they let us make our own meals and treats?
The joy of seeing them appreciate our creativity and efforts at food preparation
was such a motivator!

I hope we will, and in fact I believe we MUST,
do the same for our children and grandchildren,
as pertains to the Word.

They must know that we spend time in God's Word daily.
Not just because they hear us say so.
But, because they see us in it in various fashions.

It's a good thing they know, that sometimes
they see you stop and take a moment to read a scripture card,
from the box of them on top of the microwave in the kitchen.

It's a good thing that sometimes your husband and you play a game,
where you try to stump each other with Bible questions.

It's a good thing they know,
that occasionally when you can't sleep at 2:30 or 4:00 am,
you are happy to get your Bible out and see what The Lord has to say.

It's a good thing, so that when they are 20, 30, 40,
they will have a visual imprint on their mind,
of adults in their life, who regularly turned to the Word.

So they will know what that even looks like.

Otherwise, our next generation
might fall for a diet of "fast food" spirituality,
or worse, fusion buffet!
Let's not forget that we have the opportunity to let them
get in the kitchen so to speak, and "cook or bake" for themselves.
Let them, if they are so inclined, cook for you,
and better yet, if Dad is willing,
let the young person
serve you both something up from the Word.

And don't critique it or make it complicated.
Just enjoy and appreciate it!

Just like our parents and siblings ate our first attempts at cooking and baking!
Then our children and grandchildren will feel successful and able
to get in the kitchen of the Word, so to speak, and rustle up some grub!
Bon Appetite, Ya'll!
LET THE WORD SPEAK!
"But as for you, continue to hold to the things
that you have learned and of which you are convinced,
knowing from whom you learned them,
And how from your childhood you have had a knowledge of
and been acquainted with the sacred Writings,
which are able to instruct you and give you the understanding for salvation
which comes through faith in Christ Jesus
[through the leaning of the entire human personality
on God in Christ Jesus in absolute trust and confidence
in His power, wisdom, and goodness].
Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration)
and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin,
for correction of error and discipline in obedience,
[and] for training in righteousness
(in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action),
So that the man of God may be complete and proficient,
well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:14-17

7 comments:

Denise said...

You are awesome.

Tiffany said...

This is refreshing! I love the idea of "snacking" through out the day! I honestly have never thought about that before. But, I'm curious...With this post following the previous one, are you not feeling this book is spiritually led? If you don't want to discuss this openly, I understand, but I would like your opinion on which authors/speakers you have loved and which you would not so much recomend. You can leave it here (tiffanystaylor@hotmail.com) Thanks my friend! Blessings on your day!

luvmy4sons said...

Wow. Dear friend. Wow. As iron sharpens iron...thank you!

Masked Rabbit said...

Well you got me there. When I became a Christian (all those many years ago when dinosaurs ruled the earth!), I was told that prayer was the air Christians breathe and the Word was their food. I've been lousy at both, with no real consistency and began taking it all from the books I read written by others. So once again, I hear, through your post, "Time to get in to My Word and hear Me directly"!
I am duly challenged!

She Rose Up said...

Denise, You're very kind! I think you are too! And that God is even AWESOMER! :)

Tiff, I genereally write like I talk; fast & assuming people can read my mind! Not always a very good combination! LOL! when I said the phrase "leave the book for a while" I wasn't talking about the book I am currently fisnishing up. But,the general tendancy/leading/impression to not rely on the books, OVER the Word (not that I really ever did)...but, more that I am to be MORE, MORE, MORE in the Word than in the books ABOUT the Word. AND to be even more purposeful in the books about the Word, for instance there are several books I know I am to read the next 12 weeks or so. I need to be focused and not sidetracked from that. The Isaac book, is definitely something like overdue homework! LOL! I hope this is helping!

I will email you a little later!


Leslie, you're always so kind! Thanks! And thanks for sharpening me all the time!


Bunny Girl, you made me chuckle! You are something else! When dinosauers ruled! Too funny! And I am with you, I was basically talking to my self you know! Sometimes, when I write what He is saying to me, it becomes easier to comprehend & to implement...

SO, I have to say, thanks to all of you for being able to wade through this post. I know it was a little hard to read...You ladies are wonderful!

hugs & prayers for you all!
Maria

Lisa Spence said...

Hi Maria,
Thanks for your comment over on my site, and the referral to this post. Great stuff! May we be dissatisfied with a junk food diet of God's Word and instead hunger and thirst for the true bread of heaven!
Blessings,
Lisa

Sharon Brumfield said...

Yeap--seems I missed it.
Good thoughts and so true. Sometimes I don't think that the teachers that are so popular realize that they are helping raise a group of people who don't know how to prepare a meal for themselves.
Kind of like when the children of Israel told Moses you talk to God because we feel we will die if we have to hear His voice again.
The sad things is that if they never take the time to hear straight from His mouth---how will they recognize or decipher His words from from the enemies. The enemy who gives a little truth mixed with a lie.
Such truth.
You know in the old testament there were priest who were positioned on the top of the temple walls to watching for things coming in that would contaminate it.
Are we those priests?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!