Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen! Why it is Great to be a Girl in the 21st Century!



Here is my third go at Thursday Thirteen. I have really enjoyed doing these. It is great to see the zany, creative and thought provoking things my bloggy friends come up with. Lots of fun to make my own, too. I am NOT the stereo-typical Girl Power type person. However, I do relish the joys and mysteries of being a woman. And Never at ANY time in history have our feminine kind had so much opportunity, freedom and luxury available to us, than at this time in history. When I began getting into the Word of God, I was struck by how much was in there to set women free. Free from their past, free from being put in a pigeon hole, free from stereotypes. The trick I found was digging into the Word to chisel it out for others to see. It has been my unending privilege to do that every since I discovered this beautiful concept. So, in the vein, here is my list, for fun, games and a lot of gratitude at the times we live in!
  • When I ask you...at any other time in history could a girl get such a WAY cool car as above!?
  • We can not only vote (can you believe at one time we couldn't? And now we can't find the time? We use the absentee ballots at our house, that is how we make sure we get it done & our kids see us do it!)
  • I have two words for you here - hair color! I am 42 yrs old and I have had to have my hair colored since I was 24. My first gray hair actually popped up when I came home from the hospital after having my first child at the age of 18! Go figure! Yes, it was an omen of things to come! LOL!
  • ANY style goes now. How cool is that? Anything from urban hip-hop to traditional plain jane (guilty!) off the rack at Wal-mart or JC Penney's, to funky hippie-chick chic, its all good! Remember when the well dressed women had to be cinched into the whale bone corsets? Or how about when only certain ages and marital statuses should actually wear only certain kinds of colors, it's true!
  • Now you can actually have my favorite kind of child birth - an epidural! 3 cheers!
  • There is just no career or educational field unavailable to us any longer. From stay-at-home mom (my current career of choice) to being a doctor, or a business owner, an author or maid, politician, journalist, even a preacher. It's all honorable and socially acceptable!
  • Electrolysis. This was not always available, but, I am guessing it was always necessary! One day I WILL indulge in this wonderful invention!
  • Dishwashers and washers & dryers. Can you imagine? We would NEVER have time to talk to each other through blogging with out these great inventions!
  • Tivo - Listen , Ya'll, I am not ashamed that I like some wonderful shows, some a teaching shows (Joyce Meyers, etc) some are just plain 'ole fun, but without Tivo, I'd NEVER see anything! I don't even know how to watch TV without being able to fast forward past the commercials anymore, it's terrible!!
  • Make-up! NECESSARY! On so very many levels! And so many to choose from! Hip-hip-hooray!
  • No more arranged marriages! I can't even imagine! 'nuff said!
  • Cell phones and voice mail, how DID we ever live without that? Remember when you actually had to answer the phone and NOT know who was on the other end? Yikes!
  • I saved this for last! Just think, through blogging we have friends that we will likely never meet this side of heaven! People all over the country we live in and all over the globe! My latest discovery lives in one of the coolest countries - New Zealand! One of the things people struggled with as they pioneered in this country and others, was isolation. Now, we don't have to be isolated, unless we just NEED it for our sanity and peace of mind. For that and these many other reasons, I am EVER SO GRATEFUL!

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hope you all had fun today! Love on your daughters, mothers, nieces, remind them how great it is to be free to be all they can be as a girl! Sow into their lives, it will make you both stronger and richer for doing it!

8 comments:

Kassi Gilbert said...

What wisdom! Pink DOES solve everything. I wish that the rest of the world were so savvy. :)

heidi @ ggip said...

I'm not a huge fan of pink, but that car is really cool!

Joyful Days said...

I have been deep in historical fiction this year and it has really opened my eyes to how good we really do have it. Plus, I think I've learned more about history this year than all the years past.

Sharon Brumfield said...

I agree with you on the last one.
I have met so many incredible women here in blogdom. I love that I have met so many beautiful women that I would not have met otherwise.
I am so thankful for the internet and blog.spot.

Cecily R said...

I am not ashamed to say "drug me up!" when it comes to child birth! Love the epidural so much I get giggly in the delivery room. True story!

We have DVR rather than TiVo, but honestly, it's technological BFF. I love it.

Cecily R said...

OH, and THANK YOU for the great award! Sorry I haven't been here sooner. I'm way behind these days on most everything. :)

She Rose Up said...

Kassi, Thanks for stopping by! We can always hope the world will catch up in savviness!

Heidi,:) I know what you mean. I can't explain it, but in the last 3-4 years I have just gravitated to pink, more and more. At times it is a little alarming! Oh, well!

The car though, that's Da Bomb, baby!

Joyful, I have to admit to most of my knowledge coming from the same source! Just not recently. It's true, we have lots of freedom which was hitherto unavailable..., how's that go? "to whom much has been given, much is required"?

Sharon, me, too! That's a big ditto for me!

Cecily r, You are quite welcome, I have to apologize for not noticing you already had been given that once before. Yikes! I guess we could consider you are twice the wonder in Wonder Woman! LOL! Enjoy! Oh yeah, so when you got giggly - what were you singing!?!

Thanks for stopping by, Ya'll!
Maria

She Rose Up said...

.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!