Monday, October 15, 2007

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

UNADORNED - not adorned : lacking embellishment or decoration. My husband is such a good sport and sweet guy. He has always insisted that I look just as good without make-up as with, and he really, truly does like it when my hair is sort of straight. My hair is naturally a mix between curly and wavy on most days. Especially in our humid climate. Rabbit Trail Alert - (I remember when I was a teen, I would go to great lengths, while ruining my parents electricity bill, to have the air cold enough to help my hair be a little more straight. Of course I had to help it by pulling it straight then leaning back against the wall behind my bed, while I entertained myself with Taylor Caldwell books, which I loved (still do). OMG(osh)! I would not want to be a teen again for anything!) I digress. The point is my husband, like most, I would think, likes the natural look. I think the natural "unadorned" look is special because it is private way that we do not allow everyone else to see us, (and the general public all said: "Thank The Good Lord!" LOL!). Lately it is occurring to me that God would like my prayer life to be much more "unadorned".


Prayer is a critical part of my life. I would say my prayer life is a life-long journey to which there is no arrival this side of heaven. Just progress, rabbit trails, then progress again. Oversimplified, but you get the idea, because each of you have your own prayer journey. It has been occuring to me very recently to consider the word unadorned, and to consider it as a pattern for my conversations with God. In my pondering of this word and what it speaks to me to communicate with Our Lord, in an unadorned fashion, I get a sense that it insults Him when we hold back. He longs to hear what we call "the real deal". He really wants us to give the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to Him. It's a powerful thing when we can stand to do it. I have always thought that I was pretty decent at giving all the junk to Him. I've always been one to say to others "He's a Big God, He can take it, it's no surprise to Him". But, I see now that I do try to 'protect' Him from some of it. When really, I am just trying to protect myself.


I guess where I am at is this: We sometimes come to Him in our conversations (prayer) with Him, clothed in Christ, so to speak. Yeah, I know the Word says to be clothed in Christ. When we are out and about, any other place, yes, but in intimate conversation with Him, I am thinking there is a time to be before Him unadorned - naked and unashamed. The dictionary lists these two words as synonyms: plain, simple. He wants us to come plain and simple. When we are with our Father/Maker/Lord, this is a place of privacy, intimacy, and we can't do the work that needs to be done with our clothes on! We need to be able to acknowledge the naked state of our selves without Him, so the full power of WHO Christ in us is can be fully appreciated.


When we don't come to Him unadorned - We are pretty good at rejecting the thoughts most times, the thoughts that are the most dire, the fears, dreads, parts of us that we say "no, I am not going to pursue that, I don't accept that." We move on and while it right and admirable to move on and pursue the truth of God's Word for whatever the situation is, me thinks it is not as powerful as first making the exchange. In other words, we are being invited to take the exact prideful part of us that we are rejecting, or the dreadful fear that we consider unacceptable to waste time or thought on, whatever it is, and to give it to Him, call it what it is and watch it go up in smoke in His presence. Maybe this is where the Beauty for Ashes concept comes from! LOL!


Well, these are just the thoughts of a fellow prayer pilgrim. Like I said, I am learning as I go. I would love to hear and learn from you!


I think I might just go straighten my hair! Just kidding, ya'll! :)

27 comments:

Joyful Days said...

I don't know if I will ever feel "unashamed" if I truly look at my life--but I've come to the point of "n@ked." Knowing that He sees whether we choose to show Him or not has affected that. Kind of like getting our children to tell us the truth when they mess up--we continue to see them through the eyes of love. Thankfully that is what He does--sees us through the love of Christ.

I gave you a little bloggy award over at my place.

Have a beautiful week.

She Rose Up said...

Julie @ Joyful Days,

It is always reassuring to me to know that He already knows, somehow it takes the sting out of it. I too am thankful that He sees us through the love of Christ. Daily I am grateful for this!

Thanks for stopping by,
Maria

luvmy4sons said...

AMEN! Can I say it louder?! AMEN! I often tell my sons that they need to give God their ugliness so that He can fill them with His goodness. He knows our hearts anwyay. We aren't hiding anything from Him. But how often do I forget to do it in my own time of prayer! Love this post!

Karen Hossink said...

I am so glad I can come to him "naked and unashamed." He knows everything about me and loves me anyway. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

can you buy ambien online 2.5 mg ambien side effects - make ambien high better

Anonymous said...

zolpidem no prescription zolpidem vs zaleplon - zolpidem zydus

Anonymous said...

zolpidem without prescription order ambien online cheap - ambien side effects aggression

Anonymous said...

xanax price xanax side effects hiccups - buy xanax online

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10mg can take diazepam high blood pressure - diazepam dosage before surgery

Anonymous said...

buy valium online what is valium 5mg tablets for - valium valrelease diazepam sale

Anonymous said...

xanax pill order brand xanax - does xanax show up military drug test

Anonymous said...

generic lorazepam ativan 8 mg - lorazepam 1mg tablets pictures

Anonymous said...

ativan mg does ativan high feel like - can buy ativan online

Anonymous said...

ativan 2mg ativan for vicodin withdrawal - generic brand of ativan

Anonymous said...

discount ativan ativan dosage children - ativan dosage high

Anonymous said...

xanax mg xanax bars highest mg - xanax generic names

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien mayo clinic - buy ambien from usa

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien 7 hours sleep - ambien cr for insomnia

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online names of generic ambien - generic ambien usa

Anonymous said...

generic soma jugar cubo soma online - soma generic drug

Anonymous said...

brand valium valium dosage equivalent - valium 10mg vs xanax 1mg

Anonymous said...

buy soma medication stronger than soma - carisoprodol ibuprofen

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol no prescription can i order soma online legally - buy soma canada

Anonymous said...

valium for sale buy valium online c.o.d - valium side effects animals

Anonymous said...

ambien cr ambien sleep architecture - how much sleep ambien

Anonymous said...

buy valium in canada valium half life drug - where to get valium in the uk

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium generic equivalent - prozac and valium drug interactions

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!