Monday, November 19, 2007

Memory Verse Monday!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever." ...Luke 22:35-36, 38 "And He said to them, When I sent you out with no purse or [provision] bag or sandals, did you lack anything? They answered, Nothing! Then He said to them, But now let him who has a purse take it, and also [his provision] bag; and let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy a sword....And they said, Look, Lord! Here are two swords. And He said to them, It is enough."

Lord, bless Karen for initiating and keeping up with Memory Verse Monday! It is a great way to start the week, and I can see such a difference! If you want to sign up for your own, just click the link above.

At the beginning of this year, the Lord spoke the verse from Psalm 73:26 into my life. He did it in such a way, as to be sure I would remember it all year long. There was no doubt it was a word to me. But, I just didn't quiet "get it". You ever have that happen? Being a person who loves to study the word, I was a little stumped with this one, I don't mind telling ya'. If it is exceedingly obvious to you, I am happy for ya! Really! It sure wasn't to me! This was a word I had to seek Him for! I mean I got the obvious connotation, but I knew I was missing the best part. So, I just kept meditating on it, speaking it out, throughout this whole year. But, it was never alive in me, until Saturday evening. Then it was sooo very much alive, I knew I had to share it with you all!

Saturday I had spent much time (mentally) while I went about my normal routine, very preoccupied in my mind and heart, recounting my many failures in a few areas very important to me. Not just for the sake of making me happy. But, because God has called me to higher levels in these areas than I am behaving. I felt like the wandering in the desert Israelites, who just could not believe God for the strength to go into the Promised Land and push out the enemy. I mean how many times am I gonna see the back side of this mountain! I want to be way to the other side of this mountain, you know? Please tell me I am not the only person doing this! By the time I saw Psalm 73:26 that evening, He had my heart and mind right where He needed them to be...tender...raw...yielded...not feeling self-sufficient. Feeling instead, completely dependant upon Him to pick me up, and bring me to a better place, in my heart and mind. Just think "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever."

Think about it. What do we really have? Everything is temporary. He is all that we can eternally grab hold of. Now this scripture tells me that though I will fail myself, He is sufficient for me! He takes what we have, when it is surrendered to Him in faith and makes it sufficient. He makes it enough! Just before Jesus was taken to be crucified, He told them to gather what they have in service to Him, and whatever it was, it was enough. Because He adds to it! Another time we will talk about what happens when we use it in the arm of the flesh instead of being led and strengthened by the power of His Spirit...that is a whole other thought! :) If you want you can see what that looks like right here: Matthew 26:50-52

I appreciate so much being able to share with you all, what God is teaching me. I pray my thoughts bless you and encourage you. We are all in this boat together! Happy Thanksgiving, Ya'll! He is enough for us!

10 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you dear one.

Cecily R said...

Hey Maria,

Thanks for your great comment...I can always count on you for a good one.

This weekend was a difficult one for my family (as in my side of the family, not the Jon and Cecily family), which was why I didn't post for a few days. Hopefully things will slowly get back to normal in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I might as well look for the positives, right?!

A Captured Reflection said...

Yes this is awesome. Our heart, our flesh lets us down and we can be burdened by our failures, perceived or otherwise, but that assurance of truth - God is constant, unchanging, faithful, he is our strength, the one to lean on. Thanks Maria!

Mary said...

A beautiful verse. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings to you and yours.
Mary

Masked Rabbit said...

Hey there,
I can confirm, you are not the only person to be wandering round and round the mountain. I am 42 and it feels like I've been doing the children of Israel wander in the desert.

This was wonderful to read how God is getting your attention and what he's saying to you. There is great value in knowing God's word and memorising it. I've just been too lazy in the past!
Hugs

Karen Hossink said...

"He makes it enough."
Yes, He does!
He spoke that in a clear way to me this summer when I was reading about the time He fed so many with five loaves of bread and two fish. That amount certainly didn't seem like enough, and I began to think about my doubts of my mothering abilities...Sometimes I don't feel like I have "enough." Enough love, enough wisdom, enough patience, etc. But I saw in that passage - Jesus takes what we have and HE makes it enough!
What a relief!!!

Sharon Brumfield said...

How I know about making trips around the mountain.
But you are right He is enough.
I love the part about them having to do nothing but wait in the upper room.

luvmy4sons said...

Amen dear sister. He is enough. Not only that He will do exceedingly, abundantly MORE than we ask or imagine. Many blessings on your holiday. You are in my prayers sweet sister.

Cecily R said...

Happy Thanksgiving Maria! Have a fantastic weekend with your great family!!

She Rose Up said...

Hey, Cec!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your fabulous possee as well! Thanks for being so sweet!

Hi, Karen!

Yes, He is sufficient, especially when I am not! Do you all do Thanksgiving in some way? I am just not sure?

Hi Mary!

You already had Thanksgiving didn't you? Last month? Have a great weekend anyway!

Hi there, Bunnygirl!

I am glad to have company around the mountain! Now lets leave it in the rearview mirror! :)

Hi, Karen

He makes us able to parent, eh? We couldn't on our own! Grace, grace and more grace...

Sharon,

Yes He is! Always!

Leslie!

Yes He does! He is always about the bigger picture, & the broader boundaries than we are naturally inclined to. Thank goodness! Thanks for the prayers! They mean so much! Hugs, Sister!

Thanks to all of you, for all your enouragement and friendship! Many blessings to each of your families!

Happy Thanksgiving you all!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!