Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Repairing Foundations

This past Saturday was special to me. This isn't my typical style post. But, I felt it was important to talk about our need to help one another. Not because we don't all desire to do this already, because the people I have been reading on these wonderful blogs obviously do and do. Sometimes though, I think we need encouragement to know we are on the right track. Sometimes the little voice in our head doesn't say the good thing, instead it says the "Does it even matter?" So the purpose of this post is a resounding YES! :)

I was able to work with some great friends from my church and some great friends from another church and have a yard sale so we could help some girlfriends at yet another church! Their building has been around for years and years as a church. Just not always as their church. Anyway, the foundations need repairing, the whole floor system. Not a cheap project. They have been cooking, baking and yard sailing until I think they were just cross-eyed from it all. They are a sweet group of hard-working Christians. And like everyone does from time to time they are going through transition right now. So that doesn't make this any easier. When we heard about their need, my friends and I, we felt this was a time to do more than pray. Anyone who reads and knows me at all, knows prayer is essential to who I am. But, sometimes we also have to DO! This was one of those times!

Yard sales are not one of my favorite things. I have to admit, however this was a pleasure to do. It was a lot of hard work, but the people I worked with were so much fun to work with. They were committed to seeing the task through and happy to be doing it. Also critically important are the people who helped to coordinate the sale and who supported it by using their authority to say - "Go for it, run with it!" That's all it takes for the hard work to be fulfilling & rewarding! We met a lot of good people and ALL were interesting!

While the monetary total we raised was small compared to their overall need, I believe it was pleasing to Our Lord (what Father isn't pleased to see His kids growing up and helping to take care of each other like He has taught them?), and it was an encouragement to our sisters in another church. That's is what is all about!

When I came home I came across a scripture from Ephesains 2 in a devotional book I have. I will close with that scripture and the surrounding scriptures:

  • Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

  • And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];

  • In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

  • In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Thanks for stopping by! And I hope to see you again soon! Look for Monday Night Football coming later today! It won't be what you think!



5 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

I am really enjoying your blog!! I have given you an award - do pop by and see.

heidi @ ggip said...

I'm glad that you were able to use some info from my post in your day to day life. I guess it just takes one person positively affected to make everything worth it, right?

Cecily R said...

My friend Free, you are so great!

What I love about this is that you and your friends just helped people because they're people who need help and not because they necessarily believe everything you do.

You guys are awesome!

Joyful Days said...

How wonderful that you did that!! Sometimes things we do for others end up blessing us as well.

She Rose Up said...

Karen,

You are so sweet! And I am still speechless about this! I am not through exploring all the many treasures you have on your blog, but am enjoying it soooo much! (I did stop by Carin's blog, wow! Her shared word on two pathways was something I will be coming back to from time to time. It is truth.)

Thank you so much! As for your recognition, I have to say you are receiving something well-deserved!

Heidi,

Smiles! I think so. I really do! Hey, thanks for stopping by! I will be seeing you! ("Internetually" speaking of course!)

Cecily r,

Girl, I soooo ain't great! But, thanks for the thought! I got great friends though, and we had great fun! That is for sure!

I hesitated to post about it actually, bc I really wanted the focus to be on the oneness of our faith in Christ and how it is so much more important to BE the church than to GO to church...so in the end that trumped my hesitation!

joyful days,

It truly was a blessing in many ways. Some more things are actually on the table to happen bc of that whole experience, so I may be posting on the topic in the future, Not soon though. Pray!

Thanks, Ya'll!

It is great fun to talk with you all!

Be blessed in all your ways!
Maria

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!