Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Love is All You Need!

ASK ANYONE who knows me and they could tell you I am not a fan of the Beatles, but the last few days I find the phrase "love is all you need" running through the orchards of my mind. (Yes that is what I picture - rows and rows of fruit trees! ) So, why this phrase? Because more and more I am learning that the tough relationship questions that stump me, mainly require LOVE. Simplistic you say? What about those that are just determined to be difficult? The relationships that are strained? The long and the short of it is, it all comes back to love. No matter what strategy you are going to have to employ, if love is not the fuel, not the grease in the wheels, you won't get far. It all starts and it all ends with love.

The 3 (oh so frequent) times when I get in trouble are these:
  • When I try to love in my own ability and personality, (which some weeks would seem to be daily.) If I don't rely on the Holy Spirit in me (Romans - He has "shed His love abroad in our hearts by His Holy Spirit" - I find myself continually professing this, making it a focal point in my mind, thanking the Father for this wonderful gift.) It is not in me in my own power to love the way I really want to, the way I really need to. But, "Christ in me, the hope of glory!"
  • When I have failed to deal with issues that need resolution through discussion - this is guaranteed to make the chance of "blowing a gasket" & saying something unfortunate that you can just never take back, much more likely.
  • When I forget to forgive for the little (or the big) things. Sometimes when I catch myself being short-tempered with a situation or person, all I have to do is roll back the mental video tape and I will find what is really bothering me. Then I have to deliberately forgive that debt. Sometimes I don't need the video tape. I just know what the problem is. Whatever the case - it has still GOT TO GO! There is not room in my heart for it to be healthy keeping all those things. I sure wouldn't have any friends or family if they kept all of mine (debt). Too much mercy and grace has been given me in my life for me to refuse someone else the same.
I came across this song at our church quiet a few years ago. Not really sure of the name - but, it has a verse that goes something like "I just came to say I love you". I thought that would be a great life defining song. I remember thinking that would be great at my memorial service - when I am about 104! :) I think that it is the biggest part of what we are to do - learn how to love - His way!

Simplistic - no - I can't in truth agree. If you have tried to love His way - then you know, it is anything but simple!

Well, right now, love dictates that I need to go prepare supper! Talk more later! I feel much better now that this is off my chest!

5 comments:

Joyful Days said...

What a wonderful, though provoking post. Not simplistic at all!!

Unknown said...

Love looks so different to so many. And how wonderful that you fix supper in love. And the pure love of Christ. Oh to learn how to do that for others.

She Rose Up said...

Joyful days - Thanks. It provoked me just living it the past few days! LOL! I thought I would share the "joy", if you will
pardon me borrowing your theme!!

Carole - Thanks for dropping by!It's a good thing I do my best to fix it in love, 'cause sometimes my cooking is somewhat comical! Baking is my fav. Too bad we can't just have dessert 3 meals a day!

luvmy4sons said...

And the greatest of these is love...a lot more complicated than it sounds at the surface. So many different love languages. Great thought provoking post. Love it!

Sharon Brumfield said...

Just when I think I am learning to love with His love--I meet "someone".
Someone who "seems" unlovable.He uses them to pull and stretch His love so that it comes out of me even more freely.
Till the day I die I hope I never stop learning to love.I have so much to learn.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!