Friday, January 4, 2008

Laughter!

Who doesn't just love to laugh?

Even though, for some of us, it gets harder as we age,
(life has a way of taking it's toll on us,)
we all love a good laugh!

For some reason I have been thinking about the word a lot lately - laughter.
The benefits of it.
We all know that studies have been done to show laughter is healthy.
The scriptures tell us how healthy it is to be merry and to laugh.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones"
Proverbs 17:22

"A glad heart makes a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken" Proverbs 15:13
Like anything good for us, it is something of a choice.

Think about it.

The very fact that most children laugh easier,
(but check 'em in 20-30 years, and see are they laughing now?),

tells us that, as life throws curve balls, challenges,
and we negotiate the mud-puddles and traffic jams of life,


Photobucket

we sometimes forget to laugh, to see the humor,
we might take ourselves too seriously.
We might just be
so burdened with the weight of caring for our families
we can't imagine finding anything funny!

I speaketh from experienceth, Ya'llth!
Can you relate? Sure you can!
How many of us have been encouraged to laugh and play,
by our carefree children, and even spouses?

But, I have found it IS a choice!

We have to look to the hope, look to the silly!
We have to purpose, sometimes, to choose the mirth, the hilarity in life!

Photobucket

One of my favorite aspects of Our God,
is that fact that He is not only tender and merciful,
but I LOVE the contrast of His tough hombre character...
if you doubt me, think of how He reacts to evil doers throughout Psalms 37, check it out,
it is so worth the read!

Specifically, this line - tells us not to worry about the bad guys we see -
"FRET NOT yourself because of evildoers, neither be envious against those who work unrighteousness (that which is not upright or in right standing with God )"
Followed a little later by the punch line -
"The Lord laughs at [the wicked],
for He sees that their own day [of defeat] is coming."

I guess I just love the confidence, security and all that goes with it.
That's what He hopes we will catch on to.
That confidence in Him!

"Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything,
but in every circumstance and in everything,
by prayer and petition (definite requests),
with thanksgiving,
continue to make your wants known to God.
And God's peace shall be yours,
which transcends all understanding
shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
For the rest, brethren, (& Sistern!:)
whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence
and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious,
if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise,
think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]."
See, it's a choice. We have a choice!
Now, chosing faith, chosing peace, trusting God,

does not necessarily equal laughter,
I know! I get it.
I got no less than 3 NOT FUNNY phone calls today,
while I worked on this off and on.
NOT FUNNY at all.

They led to more NOT funny conversations.
And I care very much about all of it.
While those situations are serious and break my heart in lots of ways.
In the end, I am still going to flirt with my husband,
laugh at whatever I can find

and trust God for all the rest!


Photobucket

To me, laughter is more like the cherry on the sundae
(except I don't like cherries, but you get the idea!)
It's more a case of good, better, best of all!
Laughter is best of all!
Its, peace plus!

Plus ridiculous "I laugh in your face trouble,
because I AM confident of a good outcome in the end!" attitude!
I am "fully persuaded" (Romans 4;21 reference to Abraham's faith)
that My God (and Your God)
will see to it that ALL things work together
for my good, and your good.
I thought I'd close with some medical facts about the benfits of laughter!

1. An increase in the activation and number of cells which "kill" viral infected cells, and even some cancerous and tumor cells. Sounds like a good thing!

2. A number of other things very technical, but very much IN EFFECT after watching funny movies, pertaining to the immune system.

3. Lowers blood pressure (seems to impact women more than men, to me I'm sorry ladies, this just confirms the picture that we tend to "worry" too much!) :) (Or maybe that's just me!).

4. Muscle relaxation


5. Respiratory benefits

6. Cardiac exercise (it is an internal "jogging" which can benefit even those who can't actuall physically exert themselves, how cool! (Honey I think that means I don't have to do the tread-mill today, I watched 2 episodes of Frasier while working in the kitchen! You know how much I laugh at the show!).

7. Pain reduction. Lingering effects cause you to "forget your pain", coupled with the release of endorphins which are naturally occuring pain-killers of a sort and provide a general sense of well-being.

8. Reduction in Stress Hormones, at least four of them; epinephrine, cortisol, dopac, and growth hormone.

There were several internet sources for this. I primarily used this link.

Hope you have a hoot this weekend!

7 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I so needed this post today. I am under attack and this day has been most difficult. Thanks for reminding me that my attitude is a choice. Whew! I could use a good laugh. Your post brightened me for a little while. Thank you.

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Very nice post! I especially enjoyed reading about the benefits of laughter. I agree 100% Have a blessed weekend!

She Rose Up said...

Leslie, Praying for you!
I hope your weekned is a refreshing one! You deserve it!

Hi, Amy! You're back?! I will pop over tomorrow! I hope you had a beautiful trip! Thanks, you have a blessed weekend as well!!

Thanks, Ya'll!
Maria!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I was just over at Samaritan Woman talking about how I need to lighten up.
I am not jovial by nature. And I can take myself too serious. Think too much.
But I have been thinking I need to do a little light chatting with God.
Maybe He knows some good jokes? :)

Cecily R said...

MARIA! You are all sorts of awesome on this one!! Laughter is what makes all the yuck seem like less of a big deal.

P.S. I think I want to be Marge when I am old. That Hallmark chick is one of my heros. :)

She Rose Up said...

Sharon,
You know, I'm thinking He must! Did ya' see some of those critters He designed and created? He must have a great joke book! ;)

P.S. sometimes I can be too serious as well! But, luckily, I decide not to stay there! ;)

Cecily, Thanks! I am so agreeing with you - it DOES make the yuckies much better!

She rocks doesn't she? LOVE her comics & cards!

Happy Saturday, Ya'll!
Maria

Melissa in Mel's World said...

In all seriousness if we didn't laugh at ourselves we'd probably all cry!

Besides, too many crazy and ridiculous things happen to me ach and every day NOT to laugh!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!