Saturday, July 12, 2008

Scattered Thoughts


Ok, this photo came up when I looked for something to illustrate "Scattered Thoughts". I couldn't resist the pretty colors! I'm a sucker for that! But, to be really truthful, it doesn't represent MY scattered thoughts! Mine would be more like a collection of pretty gems mixed with a collection of broken toys, and some pretty flowers tumbled in there, along with some stanky dirty old laundry (you know like smelly old socks and such!) I don't know how to get a picture like that, so words will have to do!

Photobucket

The last week of May, several of our church's Pastor's were impressed that it was a time for those were were so inclined to participate in a type of fast. Our Praise & Worship Team (choir, Music Team, whatever your church calls it - same thing) was the primary group led in this regard, along with of course, our Pastor and and his wife (who is our co-Pastor). How it came about was interesting in the way that God will lead through the Holy Spirit various individuals at the same time. Then at the right time, they all compare notes and find they are on the same track together!

What format was this done? Our Pastor and his wife, the Praise & Worship team and our music Pastor, all went on a 40 day fast that was like this: no sugar, no fried foods, and only 5 hours of media a week, at most. Several (like our Pastor and his wife) were led to do a bit more. They took the first 3 weeks for a Daniel fast and continued with that through much of the fast, because that is how they were led. The opportunity to participate was opened up to the whole congregation, and only God knows how many people took the opportunity to grow in this area.

For me, I got excited when I heard about this. I was hungry for it! Yes, I was hungry to be part of The Body of Christ participating in a fast, for those who were willing to humble ourselves and seek God for spiritual growth in our own lives, and the lives of our families, for greater impact to come from our lives and into our community. For Christ to have free access in our lives that we might be more effective servants in the kingdom of God.

I did my fast a little different, since I'm not a member of the Praise & Worship Team. One of the things they asked us to do, was to keep a journal of the things we were learning, hearing and observing as the Lord would make it clear to us in our prayer and study of His Word.

Some of them I thought it would be good to post on. Just as words of encouragement. Consider this a buffet of words from which you may or may not find any that suit you, at this time. You never know when the application, in your case, is just around the corner!

1) Adore - Early on (it started June 1st), I was "thinking to the Lord" when I had a few minutes of quite time one Tuesday while my son was in music practice. In the middle of my thoughts I started praying to the Lord that we will be a congregation that would be faithful to Him, and that we will be people who are over comers, and that we will be people who Adore Him. I began to comprehend how the act of adoring Him, the discipline of the mind and heart to focus on His worthiness to be adored makes everything else in our lives: hurts, challenges, hopes, dreams and even victories be viewed the right way. As subordinate to Our Magnificent Father and Saviour Christ Jesus. There is a rightness and peace that is only available to us when we remember "with whom we have to do" (Hebrews 4:13).

2) Bountiful - At this particular season in my life, there are 2 ways God gets through to me. 1 is to impress me with a certain word, and I study it and pray on it and just let it steep in my thoughts like good hot tea! That's why so many of these are just one word. This was something that I felt he was reminding me and challenging me to develop an awareness of in my thoughtlife and prayer life. To let it become part of who I am to understand, and allow myself to experience that He IS a bountiful God, and we are to live lives that reflect bounty. He is in all things a bountiful God. Jesus is in all things a bountiful Saviour, King and Priest.

3) Splendor - He is a God of splendor. The way He loves us and what has been done for us and given to us is a splendid thing indeed! To know Him is a splendorous thing. He makes life splendid!

4) Irrevokable - He gives gifts that are irrevokable. He does not change His mind about the gifts and callings He places in and on people's lives. God is not fickle. He has established a covenant with us that is irrevokable. He is not "a God that He should lie" ("God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?" Numbers 23:19). In Him are all His promises yes and Amen, ("For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us,...was not yea and nay, but in him was yea. For ALL the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God". 2 Corinthians 1:19-21). He watches over His Word to perform it ( Genesis 26:3, Deuteronomy 9:5, 2 Chronicles 6:10, and of course "Then said the Lord to me, You have seen well, for I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it." Jeremiah 1:12) . He has challenged us to remind Him of His Word. In Him there is no shadow of turning. Would that it were true in our lives. Help me Oh, Lord!

5) Clean Slate - I did 2 posts that touched on this a little. Here is an excerpt from my journal "He gives us a clean slate in so many ways. Each life in forgiveness, each day so many new and fresh ways. Will we receive it and take Him up on the bounty, adventure and grace of a clean slate?"

6) Pleasure in the Pain - I have to admit - this one irks me. This one is not engraved in my heart just yet. I believe it. But, I struggle tremendously with it. I don't have wisdom to offer in this one. It is a new concept to me. I will share from my journal here as well. "I asked God about this yesterday as I swept, as I admitted I was NOT feeling pleasure in the pain. "Where is the pleasure, Lord? I'm not feeling this." So far what I have is this - "For the Joy set before" me - its the pleasure of knowing, of being "fully persuaded" that God is sovereign and at work in the midst of the pain, in order to bring glory to His Name, to make His Word true - What Words do I believe Him for? "

There were some scriptural themes that popped up frequently during this time for me. I am sure I haven't seen the last of those principles and themes! That means I will be posting on them, Good Lord willing!

I can't wait to hear from others at our church what they have learned. It really helps me process stuff to get on here and chat with you all. I appreciate so much the format and relationships we share which make this possible and a joy!

God bless!

P.S. I had several typos! Guess what?! I was so focused on what I was doing, I couldn't figure out why my reading glasses were bothering me - turns out one of the lens had popped out, UNBEKNOWNST to me! LOL!

6 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Okay the PS had me rolling on the floor, but the post had me shaking my head YES and saying YES and agreeing with your thoughts! So many of them hit home with me too! Especially the Adoring and the suffering...Oh how He is teaching me! I love your musings and so glad to see you back here again girlfriend. You are alwyas in my prayers!

She Rose Up said...

Leslie - tee-hee! I just had to tell on myself! It was just too ludicrous!

Thank you for the prayers & kind words!

xoxo,
Maria

Denise said...

You have been missed sweet one. Thanks for sharing this awesome post. Let me say amen.

MelanieJoy said...

Hey Girl,
I love this post! It really has me thinking right now...
I read your last post too and I know just how you feel on that one.
I really did start a blog just to meet other ladies who loved my Jesus too...it's really become a journey of accoutability for me that I've always wanted/needed. However, there are times that I don't have the "energy" (i so don't mean that in a bad way)to post or comment...or even read the deep stuff.
I am glad your back today and enjoyed hearing from you.
Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!!!

pam said...

I need to re-read this post again. I--well I just think there were Words posted that I need to hear right now. Thanks for sharing.

She Rose Up said...

Denise - Hi, ya'! Missed you, too! Thank you!

Melanie Joy - I'm with you kiddo! On all accounts! I pray this week is a fruitful one for you!

Tiffany - Thank you my friend!

Snuffie - I hope you have been encouraged! I pray your week is a sweet one!

Do something beautiful this week, Ya'll!

xoxo,
Maria

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What Does it Mean Anyway? "Free to Fly"...

Well, it's like this: Here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Free: a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself...having a scope not restricted by qualification 7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded ...Now, here are some of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of Fly:1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air ... a : to take flight ...6 : to work successfully ...Examples which apply from Websters: fly high : to be elated - fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

What does this mean in my life? This means that in life we are meant to be free. While historically mankind has not always enjoyed the opportunity to fully appreciate what that means, we are so indescribably fortunate as to live in a time of the greatest spiritual, physical, financial and political freedom ever known. Freedom doesn't come cheap, nor does it come easy. But the best things in life don't come that way do they? As I write this I am struck by how this sounds like a political statement, and for me this is much more of a spiritual thing, but, same goes for that (political that is). Freedom doesn't come easy. And it's worth whatever fight you have to make to overcome in your life in order to live a life that succeeds. Now the questions is - what is success for you? What is your standard? In my mind what is needed is a definite target - because you can't hit and maintain a moving target. A stable, rock-solid, anchor with no variable, yet multi-faceted. Something pure, just and worthy. If you look at any web page of news you can see that our society is certainly lacking in this area. What a great time to live as a rebel! Nowadays to be a rebel, all you have to do is be willing to engage in the battle of life, while anchored to Christ!